Supporting English Language Learning in Math Class
This course is a book study of Supporting English Language Learners in Math Class by Kathy Melanese, Luz Chung, & Cheryl Forbes. Participants will collaboratively discuss the modifications and supports provided and reflect on their own teaching in order to develop lessons adapted to the needs of ELLs in math classes. Group discussion and analysis of the various chapters will lead the learner to reflect how to adapt current classroom practices to be more supportive of ELLs language learning needs.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Provide opportunities for ELLs to engage in conversations about math.
- Amplify the role of language within a math class.
- Implement strategies designed to build math proficiency for ELLs.
- Develop effective lessons with accompanying supports specific for ELLs.
- Grade(s): 6th Grade | 7th Grade | 8th Grade
- Subject(s): English Language Learning | Math
- Colorado Academic Standard(s):
- Teacher Quality Standard(s):